Timeline on Time
By Angela Becker
The search for the next president of Seminole State College has begun in earnest since August when President E. Ann McGee announced her impending departure from the presidency.
According to the Seminole State website, the timeline of events to replace McGee stretches into July 2018, when Dr. McGee will step down.
The timeline is proceeding on schedule, according to Kimberly Allen of the college’s Marketing and Communications Department.
“The search for a college president is a process,” Allen says of the 18-month schedule of meetings. “We want to ensure that we allow sufficient time to gather input from faculty, staff, students, our partners and the community at large; generate a pool of qualified candidates . . . and select the best person to lead Seminole State. The current timeline allows for these vital parts of the process.”
Two meetings were set in December alone, the first being the second of three announced search committee meetings on the Dec. 4. Later in December, a board meeting will take place. These meetings will be attended by Seminole State College’s Board of Trustees, consisting of the heads of many student and faculty organizations within Seminole State.
Similar meetings are scheduled through June. Attendance at such meetings vary depending on the topics discussed. However, there are no candidates for the presidency of Seminole State just yet.
“The search firm is in the process of developing the position profile and advertisement, and holding listening sessions to hear from the faculty, staff, students and the wider community,” Allen says. “The resulting position profile and advertisement will then be reviewed by the search committee.”
On Aug. 1, 2018, Mcgee will transition to a new role as President Emerita.
Alex Setzer, a member and former chairman of the Board of Trustees, reflected on what McGee has meant to the college.
“Dr. McGee has been the driving force behind the growth of Seminole State College and its mission to fulfill the workforce needs of Central Florida,” Setzer said. “Through her work at the college and her relationships with community leaders, students, faculty and staff, she has transformed the college into the powerhouse it is today.
He also commented on what McGee has meant to individuals at the school.
“There are countless successful alumni, myself included, who can attest to her dynamism and passion for learning and for her interest and involvement with our students,” Setzer said. “We wish her all the best in her new role as she hands over the reins to our next president.”
Anyone interested in following the president search can find the timeline and other information regarding the search at www.seminolestate.edu/president-search/.
President Search Timeline (seminolestate.edu)
- Aug. 21 – Dr. McGee’s Announcement
- Sept. 18 – Board Workshop at 9 a.m.
- Sept. 18 – September Board Meeting at 2 p.m.
- Sept. 29 – Search Firm Quotes Due
- Oct. 6 – Screening for Search Firm Meeting, 8:30 – 10:30 a.m.
- Oct. 16 – October Board Meeting at 2:00 p.m.
- Oct. 30 – Special Board Meeting: Interview Search Firms at 12 p.m.
- Nov. 13 – Special Board Workshop with Search Firm at 12 p.m.
- Nov. 15 – First Search Committee Meeting, 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Dec. 4 – Second Search Committee Meeting, 12:00 – 2:00 p.m.
- Dec. 11 – December Board Meeting at 12 p.m.
- Jan. 22 – January Board Meeting at 2 p.m.
- Jan. 25 – Third Search Committee Meeting, 9:00 – 11:00 a.m.
- Feb. 19 – February Board Meeting at 2 p.m.
- Feb. 12 – Fourth Search Committee Meeting, 12:30 – 3:00 p.m.
- Mar. 19 – March Board Meeting at 2 p.m.
- April 16 – April Board Meeting at 2 p.m.
- May 21 – May Board Meeting at 2 p.m.
- June 18 – June Board Meeting at 2 p.m.
- July 16 – July Board Meeting at 2 p.m.
- July 31 – Dr. McGee’s Last Day as President